Research&Planning Essay.

Over the past two years I think I have developed my research and planning, with the production of my AS College Magazine to my A-Level coursework of making my horror trailer. From my knowledge of research and planning, i know it is vital to build my work by using different influences and software's that will enhance my work. This research has helped me gain knowledge about the conventions that I need to follow and also how to make my work more aesthetically pleasing.

In my AS task, i was asked to design a front cover for a college magazine, to show off and demonstrate my knowledge and understanding of conventions. For me to be able to do this i used my previous knowledge from my GCSE media course, to construct how i thought it should look like. Previously i didn't complete any research and i believe this act limited my creativity. This was me using the conventions such as the masthead,cover lines, dominant images and so on. I knew that no matter the genre conventions, these conventions were universal towards magazines. Therefore as there was little influence, the intertextuality of my As college magazine was very low. In terms of planning, I didn't do any planning, and i believe that limited my creativity as i didn't experiment enough with other influences that I had seen. This lack of skill limited my creativity because i didn't branch out to few what college magazines actually looked like therefore i had no influence on the specific genre.

In my second AS task, which was to create a music magazine, my creativity wasn't as limited. I was able to choose which genre of music i wanted and i was also allowed to choose the layout in which i wanted without breaking the conventions. In terms of my research i had looked at many other magazines of my genre(Rock) and i had took bits and pieces out of each magazine and i briccalaged it together. I had to take note of the conventions and make a mental note of which conventions fell into that specific genre. this broadened my knowledge of the genre conventions, it gave me an insight of the specific iconographies and common conventions. The more i looked at other examples, the wider my creativity developed and became. They developed my creativity because it allowed me to brainstorm ideas of how i would like my magazine to me, just based off of the ones i had seen. I also did some drafts that were developed as time went on.

In terms of my A2 Horror trailer, there was a lot of research and planning included in that. I had watched over 30 horror trailers just to understand the conventions and to find out the specific genre conventions. I had to analyse them and talk about how good of a trailer it was. i believe that as i critiqued the work of others, it allowed me again to brainstorm ideas of what i wanted my trailer to be like. Seeing professional examples allowed me to acknowledge what the most reoccuring conventions are and it made me want to include them in my trailer. For example the 'iconic horror shots' thats one of the things that helped me. This has shown development over the 2 years as in AS i would not have been able to go into this much depth and A2 knowledge has allowed me to understand moreof what i'm doing.





Comments

  1. Basic D

    You need to introduce which R&P skill you are discussing - ie Textual Analysis and Drafting

    " I had to take note of the conventions and make a mental note of which conventions fell into that specific genre. this broadened my knowledge of the genre conventions, it gave me an insight of the specific iconographies and common conventions. The more i looked at other examples, the wider my creativity developed and became."
    Be specific in what conventions you followed - what colours and why?
    What images and why?
    Where the masthead and why?

    "i believe that as i critiqued the work of others, it allowed me again to brainstorm ideas of what i wanted my trailer to be like. Seeing professional examples allowed me to acknowledge what the most reoccuring conventions are and it made me want to include them in my trailer. For example the 'iconic horror shots' thats one of the things that helped me"
    Again - what conventions did you use - WHAT does this look like on screen
    MES
    CAM
    EDIT
    SOUND etc

    You have only addressed Research not Planning,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Narrative Essay

Contemporary Media Regulation.